The 2018 FIFA World Cup is the 21st FIFA World Cup, an international football tournament contested by the men’s national teams of the member associations of FIFA once every four years. It is currently ongoing in Russia starting from 14 June and will end with the final match on 15 July 2018.
This is the first World Cup to be held in Eastern Europe, and the eleventh time that it has been held in Europe. For the first time the tournament takes place on two continents – Europe and Asia. All but one of the stadium venues are in European Russia. At an estimated cost of over $14.2 billion, it is the most expensive World Cup ever. This is also the first World Cup where video assistant referees (VARs) have been used.
- FIFA is actually a French acronym, not an English one since it is a French acronym for Federation International de Football Association and If it was in English it would be the International Federation of Football Association IFFA but it’s not that it’s FIFA.
2. So When was the FIFA world cup actually founded well it was over a hundred years ago actually in the year 1904 the FIFA headquarters are located in Zurich Switzerland and currently there are 211 member nations all apart of FIFA.
3. FIFA is an organization started in 1904 but that wasn’t actually the first world cup the first world cup was actually created in the year 1930 but FIFA being a French acronym the first World cup wasn’t hosted in France it wasn’t even hosted in Zurich Switzerland where the now headquarters are but it was actually hosted in Uruguay and the first host nation Uruguay was also the first nation to win the World Cup they beat Argentina 4-2 in the finals that year.
4. FIFA World Cup is the most widely viewed sports event in the entire world almost 3.2 billion people worldwide watch the FIFA World Cup that’s approximately 46 percent of the world’s entire population but these stats are based on the number of people that watch at least one minute of the World Cup so I wonder what the percentage is for the number of people that watch every single match of the World Cup that’s not even possible because some of the matches go on like the same time.
5. FIFA World Cup is hosted in a different country but in addition to that country that’s hosting the FIFA World Cup is actually automatically qualified to participate in the tournament so if you’re a host nation like you really want to win or at least get past the first round because like you didn’t even have to work to be qualified in the World Cup so I mean like to lose in the first round is kind of embarrassing.
6. So over the past little two-decade music has been a big part of the World Cup and because of that, there are about six official music albums that were released to correspond with the FIFA World Cup form the years 1994 to the years 2014.
7. Start of FIFA as an organization in 1904 when they just started there was just seven nations a part of it and those nations were France, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden & Switzerland and the United States joined FIFA in the year 1913.